Higher Level Apprenticeship
The Higher Level Apprenticeship in Mechatronic Engineering provides students with a broad education in aspects of Mechanical, Manufacturing and Electrical Engineering, which equips them for a career in industry.
This course recognises the rapid growth and changes occurring within engineering and provides apprentices with the skills and knowledge to apply in an industrial environment and within their job role.
This three-year Higher Level Apprenticeship is designed to equip apprentices with the ability to understand, utilise and develop the skills needed whilst working in the engineering industry. It builds transferable skills in communication, teamwork and the ability to self reflect.
You will study 80 credits per year over three years. Students are required to attend SRC Portadown Campus during semester time, for one full day per week. The remaining 4 days will be based with an employer. Students are required to engage in independent study.
All staff delivering on this programme are highly experienced with an extensive level of skillset across all engineering disciplines.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age on or before 1st July in the year of proposed entry to the course.
- Applicants should normally have obtained a minimum of 56 UCAS points achieved through the completion of A-Levels, National Awards, Access or other alternative approved level 3 qualifications (to include a recognised STEM A-Level subject or Level 3 Engineering)
- Have attained at least 15 points at Level 2 or above (e.g. GCSE Maths and English, grades C or above) or have alternative approved qualifications (Essential Skills Level 2). In addition, applicants must provide evidence of competence in written and spoken English Language.
- Entry to Higher Level Apprenticeships (HLA) - employers may further enhance the entry criteria at their discretion. All applicants for HLAs will be interviewed by prospective employers to decide their suitability prior to being employed by a company. Each the applicant must secure employment with a Northern Ireland based company with a minimum contract of 21 hours. Entrance to HLAs is subject to meeting DfE Operational requirements.
Stage 1. Complete both the application form and the additional information form. Attend a pre-enrolment information session where you will receive more information about your chosen course. You will be advised if you can progress to stage 2 if you meet or have the potential to meet the entrance criteria.
Stage 2. For applicants who receive a conditional offer from SRC, your additional information will be forwarded to a list of potential employers identified by SRC (alternatively if you have an employer in mind you can contact the College who will assess workplace suitability). You will progress to stage 3 if you meet the employer’s criteria for interview selection.
Stage 3. Interview stage - If following the interview stage you secure a conditional offer of employment under the Higher Level Apprenticeship programme you will progress to stage 4.
Stage 4. Applicants must present evidence to SRC on A-Level results day that relevant A-Level or equivalent qualifications are achieved. Evidence of a conditional offer of employment must also be in place at this time from the participating employer. The College will then proceed to issue a FIRM offer onto the HLA Programme.
Please note that a FIRM offer is not a guarantee that the course will commence (See below point 2)
- Employers are responsible for contacting you (the applicant) directly to invite you for interview. SRC are not involved in the shortlisting or interview process. Employers are responsible for contacting you (the applicant) directly to make you an offer of employment.
- The HLA programme will run, subject to sufficient enrolments. Although you may be in receipt of a FIRM letter of offer onto the course, the College reserves the right to only run the course if sufficient enrolments are in place.
- Attendance is strongly recommended by all Higher Level Apprenticeship applicants at the Southern Regional College’s Careers session. Invitations will be issued to advise date, time and location.
- Semester 1
- Engineering Mathematics
- CAD Techniques
- Semester 2
- Electrical & Electronic Fundamentals
- Programming & Embedded Systems
- Semester 1
- Automation Robotics & PLC's
- Professional Studies
- Semester 2
- Analogue and Digital Electronics
- Mechanical Fundamentals
- Semester 1
- Business Improvements Techniques
- Semester 2
- Work Based Learning
3 years part-time
ACCREDITED BYThis course is accredited by Ulster University.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Click here to view our terms and conditions
Upon completion of this course you may progress to year 2 on the BEng (Hons) Mechatronic Engineering, depending on your final grade; or alternatively you may progress to employment.
Note: It is the responsibility of the applicant to check each University’s admission and progression requirements before enrolling on a course at the College.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for this course are now closed!
028 3839 7850
028 3025 9684
IMPORTANT COURSE & DELIVERY STATEMENT
In light of the continuing Covid-19 situation, Southern Regional College may have to amend the delivery methods for a number of courses for the new academic year, or should the need arise effect a temporary College closure. This may also lead to restrictions when accessing student services. Please be assured that the safety of our students is paramount and as such we will be implementing a range of measures in line with government advice and protocols. We will make all appropriate and reasonable adjustments to maintain the ongoing quality of teaching and learning and our support services.
In accordance with the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you will be notified of any such changes, the reasons for the changes and any options available to you to avoid such changes having an adverse impact on your future career. All higher education students and applicants should refer to the Consumer Protection page.
Information about our fees policy including details on registration and reduced fees as well as refunds can be found HERE
Currency () GPB