Frequently Asked Questions

Applications and Enrolments

How do I apply for a Full-time course?
For full time courses you will need to complete an online application form.You can do this here: Following completion of your application you will be called to a pre-enrolment advice session. Lecturing staff will conduct an interview and if you are successful, you will be offered a conditional place on the course, subject to entry criteria.

How do I enrol for a Part-Time Course?
For substantial part-time courses (those lasting 6 or more hours per week) and those requiring a Letter of Acceptance, you will need to complete an online application form and following completion of your application, you will be called to a pre-enrolment advice session/or information session. Lecturing staff will conduct an interview and if you are successful, you will be offered a conditional place on the course, subject to entry criteria, and asked to pay appropriate course fees. 

For all other part-time courses, you will be asked to complete a part-time enrolment form and pay appropriate course fees.

Do I need to come to College before I send in my enrolment form?
It depends on which course you have chosen. Contact Campus Services on your relevant campus for help with this.

Can I enrol by telephone?
If you are paying the full fee - yes, you can enrol by telephone by phoning 0300 123 1223. If you are entitled to pay the reduced rate you need to call at reception and bring proof of entitlement with you.

I'm already an SRC student. Do I have to re-enrol in September?
Yes, you must re-enrol for every year you are studying at Southern Regional College.

How do I pay? Can I pay in instalments?
You must pay at enrolment. Instalment agreements are only approved in extenuating circumstances by the Campus Services Coordinator and/or SRC's Finance Department.

Do I qualify for a Concession Fee?
If you are in receipt of the following you may be entitled to a reduced fee: Guaranteed Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support Allowance, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance and Working Tax Credit. Your most recent and up to date evidence must be presented at the time of enrolment to receive a concessionary rate on the tuition fees. Exam fees do not have a reduced rate.

What are your FE Course fees?
Further education is free for those on a full-time programme of study. However, if you are over 19 you may need to apply to WELB for financial assistance.

What are your Higher Education Fees?
These are £2,500 per year for a full time HE course.

Don't forget your SRC Loyalty Card! If you have enrolled with us before, you can use your loyalty card to receive 10% off the tuition fees of your next course (terms and conditions apply, please contact the Campus Services team for further information).


What is an Apprenticeship?
As an employee, students earn a wage and work alongside experienced staff to gain their apprenticeship. Off-the-job training, on a day-release basis with Southern Regional College, sees apprentices receive training towards recognised qualifications. The College provides the knowledge and skills while the employer provides the hands on practical experience.

How long does an Apprenticeship take?
Apprenticeships usually take between 2 to 4 years to complete depending on the level of study; with apprentices working to complete industry approved Level 2/Level 3 Apprenticeships.

What are the advantages of an Apprenticeship?
The employer receives an incentive bonus once the student completes their Full Apprenticeship Framework within the required time scale. The student, as well as being in waged employment, will receive training in job-specific/marketable skills.

Can I qualify for an Apprenticeship?
Are you employed in Northern Ireland? Have you obtained the minimum school leaving age? Are you about to take up or be in paid employment? Do you meet all the entry requirements of your chosen occupational area as set down by the sector skills council and SRC?
If you have answered yes to the above, then you can follow an Apprenticeship programme.


I'm unsure about which course to choose?
The Careers Service at SRC provides confidential, impartial and accessible pre-entry and on course careers information, advice and guidance to all learners. The Service offers students the opportunities and experiences to develop the essential employability and life skills in order to become effective citizens and employees.

How can I consult a Careers Adviser in the College?
The Careers Service has offices in Armagh, Banbridge, Lurgan, Newry and Portadown campuses. These are located in the Student Services area and are open daily from 9am to 5pm. We offer a 'drop-in' enquiry service to all students. However, appointments can be arranged for guidance sessions during opening hours or if you are a part-time student, evening appointments can be arranged. Alternatively you can contact an adviser by telephone or e-mail. Click here to find out more about our careers service.

Learning Support

What is Learning Support?
Learning Support is additional support to assist students who might otherwise be unable to access a programme of study or who, by reason of their learning difficulty or disability, may require specialist support beyond that normally provided by the college.

How do I get Learning Support?
You need to tick the box on your application or enrolment form which asks if you require learning support. You need to answer all questions in this section fully. Your application or enrolment form will then be sent to a Learning Support Coordinator who will contact you to arrange an interview to discuss your needs. For more on Learning Support click here

Car parking

Where can I park on campus?
All campuses have car parking bays which are available to staff, students and visitors to the College. You must park within an allocated space and not on double yellow lines. All students attending classes during the hours of 9 am – 5 pm must apply for a cark parking permit at the start of the year to allow them to park on campus. SRC has a strict car clamping policy so it is vital that you get your parking permit and park legally.

How do I get my parking permit?
Your lecturer, at the start of the year, will guide you to the relevant section on Moodle where you can apply for your parking permit.

General Questions

Can I come and look around the College?
You can come and look around the College, meet our tutors and see the fantastic facilities at one of our open days. Click here for next open day dates.

What financial support is available to me?
There is lots of financial support at the College from EMA to the Student Hardship Fund and more in between. For more information click here.

Where can I get my lunch?
There are facilities across all our main campuses for eating and drinking. These range from EA school meals, Mount Charles catering and our own bistros and restaurants run by the catering students.

When does my course start?
Successful applicants will start late August/early September to begin their initial period of study. You can view all the dates on our Academic Calendar.

How do I apply for my SRC student card?
As a student of SRC you will be issued with a free student card which confirms your current status as a bona fide member of the College and will allow you to make use of the Learning Resource Centre and other facilities, irrespective of where you are based. Please note that you WILL NOT be permitted to sit examinations or vote in the Student Union elections without your student card. Your student card will be issued at the start of the academic year.

I would like to go to university, are BTEC Extended Diplomas equivalent to A Levels?
YES THEY ARE! BTEC Extended Diplomas are worth up to 168 UCAS points.

I have a complaint, what do I do?
For complaints, comments or suggestions email