On this course you will learn to work with a variety of materials to provide surface finishes to walls and ceilings and how to prepare surfaces and apply finishes to the correct specification. You will also learn skills and techniques used to replace and repair decorative mouldings and cornices in both new and old buildings. It helps to have some basic mathematical ability as you will have to calculate areas of wall and corresponding volumes of material.
- Hold a level 2 qualification in a related discipline;
- Have attained the minimum school leaving age;
- Have secured employment with a Northern Ireland-based company to work a minimum of 21 hours per week (either as an existing employee in the new job role or about to take up a position with a permanent remunerative employment offer).
- Have the potential to successfully complete all the requirements of the appropriate Level 3 apprenticeship framework.
Please note: Employers may apply their own criteria during recruitment.
Full details on all requirements for Level 3 Apprenticeships can be found in the SRC Admissions Policy & Criteria
- Fixing plasterboard, metal lath and pre-formed coving to timber backgrounds
- Fixing dry lining boards to solid and stud walls
- Plastering internal solid and stud walls using different materials
- Plastering external walls using a variety of materials and beads
- Preparation and laying of floor screeds to levels and falls
- Preparation and repair of damaged surfaces
- Construction of cornice moulds and running cornices in situ
- Health and Safety
Essential Skills in Communication, Application of Number and Information Technology - applicants who have achieved GCSE English, Mathematics or IT at grades A-C, will be exempt from the equivalent Essential Skills course.
1-4 years (depending on how many levels you want to progress through)
You may progress through the levels and then to higher education. Alternatively you may go straight into employment or become self employed.
HOW TO APPLY
All full-time courses starting in September 2021 are open for applications. Please click on the Apply Now button (top right in the blue box) to begin your application.
If you require any assistance with your application you can call us on 0300 123 1223.
028 3025 9684
IMPORTANT COURSE & DELIVERY STATEMENT
In light of the continuing Covid-19 situation, Southern Regional College may have to amend the delivery methods for a number of courses for the new academic year, or should the need arise effect a temporary College closure. This may also lead to restrictions when accessing student services. Please be assured that the safety of our students is paramount and as such we will be implementing a range of measures in line with government advice and protocols. We will make all appropriate and reasonable adjustments to maintain the ongoing quality of teaching and learning and our support services.
In accordance with the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you will be notified of any such changes, the reasons for the changes and any options available to you to avoid such changes having an adverse impact on your future career. All higher education students and applicants should refer to the Consumer Protection page.
Information about our fees policy including details on registration and reduced fees as well as refunds can be found HERE
Currency () GPB